Sunday, June 10, 2007

Don't forget the MILLION dollar challenge: http://www.addiscure.org/

I hope everyone is well today. I wanted to tell you about the weekend I had here in Cornelius. Steve, a buddy of mine, came in Thursday morning for my member guest tournament at The Peninsula. We played an 18 hole practice round on Thursday afternoon, then went to a banquet. The real deal started Friday morning. We had nine hole matches against people in our flight which was called Pinehurst. There were eight flights. Steve was the A player at a 6 handicap, I was the B player at a 14 handicap. It was A vs. A., B vs. B., and then a team best ball net. Each was worth a point for the match, so if you won all three, you got three points. On Friday, we had three 9 hole matches, and we got 7 points. On Saturday, we had 2 nine hole matches and got 3.5 for a two day total of 10.5. We tied for first in our flight, but we did beat the other team 2 points to one point in our head to head match so we won the flight.
We made it to the "king of the hill" shootout for the overall winner. Out of forty-eight teams, there were 8 left for this shootout. Basically, we had two groups of four teams. Each started on a hole and no matter what, one team had to drop out after each hole. If everyone tied, you had to do a chip off. In this chip off, it was closest to the flag for the winner. However, the other team s could not watch each chip to make you go for the flag. I am sorry to report that Steve and I were out on hole one! What can I say, it was high humidity and 95 degrees both days, I guess we were tired! :)
All this was made possible by MY WONDERFUL, AMAZING wife who let me do all of this. She even fixed us breakfast each day.
Because we did go so far, I had to miss Jim Cooper's wedding. I was really mad, but I did not have a choice. Christi went, and she said it was fun. One thing that was good; Addi and I had all night to play together. We went to the park in her wagon, hit the swings, played with the dogs, and had a really good time. It was a lot of daddy and daughter time.
I also wanted to make sure I said something about Nicole McClure Milano. She wrote in the comments on my last post. I do remember her well. She was a very pretty young lady from back in my Hendersonville days. I am glad that I said something to help in a positive way. I always knew she would turn out great. No doubt in my mind. She was a little like me in the fact she had to find her way and she took her time as well.
I am now really wrestling with what to do for my cancer. I feel like I have three options:
1. stay the course with the treatment I am getting, knowing it could last for three months or maybe forever.
2. decide to really push for the double lung transplant. This has no really good data on it for effectiveness, and it would be great if my body just accepted the lungs. Cancer could come back, but I would be starting fresh.
3. Push for Duke to take out a big chunk of tissue from my lungs and allow a brilliant Dr. Potti to try to make a match from my genetic makeup to the medicines I would be taking.
I feel that I need to do something very strong. The bottom line is that I am dieing slowly and the doctors do not have a cure. I am sure I would like the research done on me to heal me, but if not, I also want to make sure that others can be helped from the data I give. It is very tough.
LAST BUT NOT LEAST - Steve's son Marshall is going to Vanderbilt this fall as a freshman. He really wanted to get a good start on experience in business, so he decided that he needed to get some sales experience. He is selling Cutco knives. They are SUPER knives. If you need some, PLEASE email me and I will get you in touch. Throw the kid a bone......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bo, Just wanted to let you know that we all admire your courage during this time and we greatly appreciate your willingness to share it with all of us. The treatment that you choose is between you, God, and your family. God will provide the path for you to take and your family and extended family (friends) will be there to support which ever treatment you & God choose. Please continue to keep us updated and God Bless.

Angel Gabi's Daddy said...

Congrats on making it that far on the golf bud! Bo you are an amazing guy, fighting hard, and continuing with your life and refusing to let your condition rule it. Regardless of all that you're still looking out for other people...throw a kid a bone! that is great. You and the family are always in our prayers! Love ya buddy!
J