Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Sorry!

I know I said I would update you more last week, but it just got away from me.

I finished up testing last Friday in Duke. There were some highs and lows, but overall it was ok. It was really hard being away from family and work, but Christi, Addi, and Terri (Christi's Mom) were with me most of the time. Terri brought Addi up on Wednesday and of course she really lifted my spirits. Addi was a trooper and did spend some time at the hospital with Daddy. She kept saying "Nice doctor is going to make Daddy feel better" a lot and I think she really helped my cause. I will find out later this week what the docs think. It will be one of three answers: No, Yes, or more test. They want to make sure that cancer is NO WHERE else in my body. If it is, then no go. I really believe in my heart that they will do the transplant. By the way, I have some kick butt insurance. Every cost will be covered if they do the transplant. I thought that was neat. Now all the bake sales can be for Addi's Cure! :)

Thank you Terri. Coming out all week and helping us was great. We could not have done it with out you. We all miss the fried chicken already, but most of all we miss you.

This weekend will be the Addi's Cure party. I am really excited. We have sold over 250 tickets and we are expecting a crowd. It is a Jimmy Buffett themed party, so I know people will dress tropical and just relax. Dr. Crawford and Susan are coming. These are my doctors and have done such a good job keeping me alive.

Update on the chemo: Altima is what I am taking and it is working some. I had a scan last week and there is some regression on the cancer. This is good news. I am not sure how long this will continue working, but each day counts!

Last but not least, I have a message from my 6'6, 280 pound Uncle Terry from Kansas who can kick your butt: Be an organ donor!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bo, as you know, we follow what's going on very closely and really appreciate all your updates and information on the blog. We were really shaken when we first learned of your situation and our son Mickey (15) saw how it has impacted us and all our concern. We've talked about your transplant option a lot around him and didn't really think much about what kind of impact it might be having on him.

Well, low and behold, I took him to get his learners permit a couple of months ago and just waited while he took the test and did the paperwork etc. When he got the card he was very eager and proud to show me the picture. While showing appropriate parental pride and impress at my handsome son, I checked it over to make sure all the info was right (address etc). Right there in that little corner was the heart icon that indicates he had signed up to be an organ donor. I was SO proud. We hadn't even discussed that it was an option for him yet there he was stepping up and doing what he knew was right!

You touch lives in places you don't even realize! ((()))

Tammy Pike (Nebraska)

Anonymous said...

It's great to have you back and to see that your resolve seems to be what it once was. You've probably heard it more times than you can count that you're an inspiration to everyone, but I believe that's true now more than ever. Your courage and perseverance are phenomenal. You're one of the best people I know and no one deserves this lung transplant more than you. My prayers are always with you, Christi and Addi. Keep it up - miracles happen everyday!

Anonymous said...

Bo,

I was a Kansas State Trooper for ten years and many times, in the course of my duties, I would often transport donated organs from one hospital to another. I knew at the time that what I had in my possession was very precious, as it was a gift of life. I sincerely hope that if your readers have not done so, that they will signup today to be organ donors. Anyone in good health, regardless of age (a minor will need parent's permission) can be an organ donor.

It is very easy to sign up. Your blog readers can go to the following website and it will take them directly to their state of residency with information on how to become an organ donor. http://www.organdonor.gov/donor/registry.shtm

Currently, over 95,000 individuals are waiting on organ donations in the United States. Sadly, over 7,000 will die this year, waiting on an organ donor match. We can help change that today if everyone who is reading this will sign up to be organ donors. One organ donor can save the lives of seven persons just by caring enough to give the gift of life. Please think about it.

Thanks... Terry