Saturday, August 12, 2006

Food Report

Morning - cereal and rice milk
Lunch - turkey, green beans
Dinner - going out to eat tonight, we will see....

Today is a special dedication of the blog. Many of you know that before all of this crazy cancer stuff, I was really busy but still decided to get a masters degree. I started last April getting my Master of Science in Management with an emphasis in leadership in PA. Basically an MSM(l). One of the people in my program is Jim from California. During our first residency, we meet everyone and basically were really busy, so we spend breakfast through 9:00 pm with our cohorts. Jim and I talked several times, and one of the most interesting things I thought was his distance running. Honestly, it was unbelievable. He would talk about doing 60 miles or 100 miles. I was very impressed and as most of you know, I asked several questions. Jim was very nice like everyone in the program is. It is really a top notch program with great people.

When I found out I had the big C, I panicked a little. I decided to step away from the program. When I did, all of the people in the program sent me a nice deal of food, like a basket. Very sweet. Like I said, great people all. A little later, Jim sent me a book and told me that he was going to carry a picture of Addi in one of his "little" endurance runs and dedicate it to me and Addi. What a nice thing to do right? OK, here is the CRAZY part. This "little" run is called the Western States Endurance Run. It is 100 miles! It is not a track run; it is over a lot of different terrain and trails. In some of the pictures in the magazine (it is the 33rd one) there is snow. This thing is in June people. That is some major hills! To see this trail, go to www.ws100.com and look for yourself.

Over time, with all that is happening, I guess this kind of left my mind. Jim sent me a package a few weeks ago, and it brought tears to my eyes. In the package was a magazine that described the race, a t-shirt for Addi, a bandanna for Addi, hat for me, and pictures with a note. He also included the picture of Addi that he carried for all 100 miles. (By the way, he did it in 18:09, again, amazing!) I almost broke down. (Maybe I did :))

My point is that Jim, someone I have met and known, but not as well as I wish, did an amazing thing for me and my family. For everyone out there that thinks this world is all bad, all you have to do is look at Jim and his wife Joni. They did a very nice thing for my family. Not out of obligation, but just out of being good people.

I dedicate this entry to Jim and Joni. May good things happen to them all of their lives. They sure do deserve it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is amazing, your blog today has brought me to tears. Jim sounds like an amazing person, what an incredible thing that he did for you. It is so good to know that there are people out there in this world today who are like this. Thank you for sharing this story. This is why we have come to read everyday...you truly inspire us with the stories of your family & friends. We continue to pray for you everyday.
Peggy