Wednesday, June 21, 2006

I went to Duke today for a routine check up, and everything was fine. We left at 6:30 am, so it was going to be a long day. I had a really good time going up there. Christi and my mom rode with me so we chatted a lot. I wanted my mom to come so she could meet some of the staff at Duke and feel as comfortable as I do with them. She really liked everyone and I think this trip made her feel better.

We met with Susan Blackwell and Carolyn. They wanted to check me out since I had chemo last Thursday. Basically, my blood looked great and everything was well in range. I actually had gained some weight, and we will have to thank Christi for that. Even though my results are surprising, I think the doctors were very pleased that I had done so well with the chemo. Right before we met with the doctors, we met with DJ. DJ is a counselor at Duke and very nice. She has always come by to see us every time we are at Duke. Always to say hello, never trying to bother us. We like her a lot.

I got home today and went riding again on my bike with Jay. He says we did 12 miles tonight, but I will tell you it was over 10 miles. My goal is to get to 15 miles per day, then I will see if I can go higher. Christi did the vegetarian thing tonight, so we had black-eyed peas, lentil beans, and brown rice. I had soy milk to drink. I ate too much! Best thing to leave you with is I feel great!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.


Inches make a champion.

Vince Lombardi
Hall of Fame football coach
1913-1970

Anonymous said...

Bo,
I know we have not seen each other in quite a while. I had to drop you a line and let you know I am so proud of your attitude and commitment to beating cancer. You got my pat on your back any time you need it, and I will check the blog daily to keep up with your entries. My prayers are with you, my wishes are for you to kick cancer's a**!!!

Keep riding,
Robert Black
rblack75@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Bo keep up the work on your bike. My husband and I do 15 to 20 on weekends. We used to do more like 25 to 30 but time comes into play for me. If I can do that many miles I know you can as well. I really enjoy biking, it is a great companion sport. Also I am getting some great meal ideas - tell Christi to keep the ideas coming. Maybe she will share recipes for your favorites? Your great news is energizing for all of us around the country wishing you the best. Take care! Your friend in Iowa - Jeanne