Thursday, July 06, 2006

Went to Duke today for Round 2 with chemo. Had to leave at 6:00 am to get up there in time. I had eggs for breakfast and a shake. We got on the rode and headed to Duke. When we got there, I did a consultation and blood work. I gained 2 pounds and my blood work was FANTASTIC. After a couple of questions to the doctors, I headed up for chemo. I got in and they hooked me up. I took the meds fine but had a slight reaction to the Taxol this time. Basically, I could not breathe or talk, and I felt hot from my stomach to my head. The nurse came over and stopped the flow of the Taxol, and then had to increase my meds for awhile and let me hangout for thirty minutes or so. Then I started again without any problem. It scared Christi more than anything. Took Taxol for 3 hours and 30 minutes, then carboplatin (sp?) for 30. Had some lunch during chemo, and we stopped at Wendy's for a bit of a treat after chemo. I just ate 4 eggs before I decided to type this post. I would say all in all a good day. As i type this, I feel great.

The doctors were pretty pumped about how I am reacting to the meds. My cough is 70% gone and the side effects are minimal. I am very thrilled that I can say I am doing everything I can, the doctors are doing everything they can, and I think all of you that read this plus many more that don't are doing everything they can. So now we just hope God is on our side as far as what we want, which is cancer free Bo. We will see.

I will type this for you or anyone else to understand. I know the realities out there but I am not giving in to them. I may be dead in a year, but it will not be because I gave up. I am going to fight this thing and try to get better. I am drinking juices that would only be good with vodka! (I don't, trust me) Anyone out there with a problem they think is too big, just tell them about me and that I might die of lung cancer, but lung cancer is going to have to deal with me!

I am sorry, I am not trying to be the Tony Robbins of cancer, but I just want to make sure you know how I feel about it. I mean it. Spread the word and donate to cancer research soon. Christi and I are going to do a n-profit foundation for cancer soon, hopefully called Addi's Cure. I will let you guys know, and don't worry, I will not hit anyone up for money. I will tell you about the things we will be doing......

Thanks for reading....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to hear that all went well today! Can't wait to har about you foundation! Love & Prayers, Mom in Kansas

Anonymous said...

Way to go Bo! We are so proud of you! You have been an inspiration to us all! Love you! Shawn, Amy, Jacob and Logan

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a another very successful chemo day! Sorry to hear about the bad start to the Taxol, but sounds like it was brought under control. I have to tell you you are doing so much exercise, I do not know how you put 2 pounds on. If I could I would give you some of my weight in a minute. Your 4th sounded great - you have such a beautiful setting around the lake. I love your foundation idea please keep me posted on how that goes. We are anxious to have a picture of a walking Addi so let us know when the big day happens. Have a great weekend. As you know I am off to show Mike a thing or two about fishin' in Canada! Take care - Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Bo,
I have never met you but know your loving sister and was introduced to your blog about three weeks ago. I've been reading about everyday and have really gotten to learn what type of person you are,a strong loving father and husband that is determine to win. I am glad things went well yesterday and just wanted you to know that you have really inspired me to get on the bike and ride. You are in my prayers and thoughs so continue to keep your head up, God always takes care of his children!

Anonymous said...

We're so happy that you had a good day at Duke. I'm amazed that you are able to retain an appetite with all the Chemo and are able to exercise as much as you do. I get tired just reading about all bike riding, golf, family time, work, etc. that you do.

I've even heard people say that they would never take Chemo if they got Cancer. My Dad included, but he is not aware of the advances that have been made in that treatment. Your blog is bringing that to light for a lot of people I'm sure.

Also, it may be interesting to know where you got the diet you are following. You mention Range Chicken which is organically raised I believe and a lot of Juices, veggies, fruits, etc.. Is there a place where a reader with Cancer or someone who just wants to get healthier can get the diet information? Not that I need to gain 2 more pounds :).

Love to you and your family. Keep up the Good Fight - Battles that are not fought are not won. You're doing a great job!

Joyce